Friday, October 16, 2009

Being a Mom


I grew up having the best mom. :o) She was always there for my brothers and I, she is funny, she is easy to talk to, she encouraged us in the things that we did and never made us feel like we didn't measure up. She was excepting of me and she was proud of me. She put me in my place when I acted up and wasn't being kind or fair to others (this barely ever happened....). I even still have some of the letters she used to write me when I needed a little "coaching" because they now make me smile.

In a couple of days (or any day now!) I will be a mom to my little buddy Carson but also to a little girl. Ummm, yeah. It's huge. I was lying in bed last night and praying for my husband, Carson, and for this new baby when it all of a sudden hit me. I AM HAVING A BABY. I am going to be responsible for another life. Am I really prepared for this again? Holy banana's, this is happening.

When I was pregnant with Carson I remember freaking out a bit. One day my mom and I were in the car and I felt like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. Kinda like I did last night. I was explaining this to my mom and the fact that I felt like I wasn't prepared to raise a child. All she said to me was "Summer, you just need to love him and he will turn out just fine."

She was right.

And, I loved him from the very first time I laid my eyes on him and that will never change. I am sure it will be the same for my daughter.

I was reading my devotions the other day on-line and I came across this and decided I needed to share:

"As a mom, I have an opportunity to bring out the best in my children. But it consistently means I have to bring out the best in me. I can't model impatient behavior and expect my kids to learn patience. I can't model a self-focused lifestyle and expect my kids to learn how to serve others. Nor can I model an ultra-busy schedule and expect my kids to find time for God in theirs. Spurring my children on to greater love and good deeds means they need to learn it by watching and listening to me."

I just love that. It is who I want to be as a mom to my children. Just like my mom was to me.



These next few weeks will be rather chaotic, I'm sure. I'll keep you updated with pictures and stories but for the next few months my blog will be focused on my personally and not so much on my photography art. Hope you don't mind. :o)

3 comments:

Dan, Pam, and the Boys October 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

Love this post Summer, made me cry. You are one great Mommy!

Kate Morrow Photography October 18, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

This is beautifully expressed! Congrats on your upcoming babe!